Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lowe Family Reunion

For as long as I can remember, the Lowe family reunion has been held on the first Sunday of October. It's something we all look forward to because you get everyone gathered together, there's huge amounts of great food and then most of us younger ones (I'm ignoring that no longer applies to me) would head outside and play football, Frisbee, etc. It's always fun. We have it at the Monett City Park and everyone enjoys it. Normally the only complaint is that we're missing the Chiefs game. Of course this year, the Chiefs are on their bye week right now so we're not missing the Chiefs game for like the first time ever. But that's about the only good news. Because if I'm being honest, the family reunion was kind of a bust this year. Attendance has been dropping off the past several years. That always happens as everyone gets older. The people who used to be in charge are too old to make it out and the kids who used to run around are too busy being adults and doing other things. But this year was the worst. I bet we didn't have 40 people (used to average 80 or so) and over half of those was my immediate family, my grandma's direct descendants.

I can remember several years ago when we would all get there early and then stay an hour or so after dinner just visiting and playing. Now only 4 or 5 of us showed up before it was time to eat and as soon as the eating was done, everyone just cleaned up and left. It made me sad.

Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the people that were there, because I did. I rarely get to see Melissa, Tim & Jacob these days so I was glad they were there. Obviously Jacob's the subject of today's picture. I hope when he gets a few years older he looks forward to the first Sunday in October like I always did.

No comments:

Post a Comment