Monday, November 15, 2010

Learning To Love Green Beans

I don't like green beans. Never have. They're mushy and bland and they make me wanna puke. Of course, this is a carryover from my childhood. I don't believe I've put a green bean in my mouth for over 30 years. Well, except for when they are included in a soup. I can eat them then. But green beans are cheap, easy to prepare, and very healthy and I have decided I'm going to eat them whether I like it or not. Fortunately, I looked up a few different ways to prepare them and found one that made them sound good instead of making them sound mushy and bland. So I tried it... and it worked. I really liked these green beans.

Here's the secret (this is so simple):
buy fresh green beans
put a pan of water on to boil
while water is building up to boil, snap the ends of green beans and snap them to the length you want them
once water is boiling, place green beans in water and boil for 4 minutes
remove from heat, drain immediately
place on plate, sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan
enjoy

I have no doubt you guys have all heard this recipe before. So how come no one shared it with me? I could have started getting healthier years ago.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm! i love green beans! i steam mine and keep it simple with pepper only. i like mine still slightly crunchy though..no mushy veggies for me!

    ReplyDelete