Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Live Like A College Student


Aging is a weird process. In my mind I still think of myself as being around 23 even though I will be turning 40 this year. Yep, the big 4 0. I have no trouble saying it because (so far) it doesn't bother me. It's just a number. But I am finding myself having little minor struggles with aging more and more often. Not about turning 40 specifically, but just silly stuff like wondering if I am officially too old to have SpongeBob bedding. Should I try to hide the fact that I still listen to the newest rap & pop music? Because around here it seems like you're expected to convert to country music at around 35. Am I the only 39 year old female who loves to watch skateboarding and bmx? And many other things along these lines.

I wonder if these things stick out more because I'm single. I really think if I were married I'd act more grown-up. Surely I wouldn't expect my husband to sleep on SpongeBob sheets. Unless he loved SpongeBob as much as I do. Are there any 40 year old men out there who love SpongeBob? I seriously doubt it. And surely if I were married I could get my husband to install some mini blinds or a curtain rod so I wouldn't have to hang a KC Chiefs blanket over the window.

I don't know. Getting old is weird I tell ya. There are some things that have definitely changed simply because of my age. I have no desire to party anymore, that's for sure. Now I just prefer to sit and sip while talking or playing cards. I don't need the loud music or craziness of the old days. It was a gradual change, not one that I made on purpose. And there are times when I'm really sad I can't enjoy myself at a party like I used to. But I seriously can't. And of course with age you finally learn how to responsibly handle your money and pay your bills. You start finding it a little easier to get up in the mornings... because you now go to bed an hour earlier than you used to. You discover you don't like people as much as you used to. Etc., etc.

Anywho, this is what my bedroom looks like. I just have no idea if that's cool or creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment